If Your Cruise is delayed or cancelled after You have commenced Your Cruise and before you have disembarked and completed Your Cruise due to:
- mechanical breakdown;
- civil commotion;
- river or canal lock damage or closure;
- adverse weather conditions; or
- natural disasters;
What does an itinerary deviation look like? How could it impact my trip and how might I be compensated?
A deviation can be a quick, minor inconvenience, a prolonged change or an extended disruption depending on the circumstances.
A minor disruption may include:
In the event that a ship can’t pass through a section of the river (due to water levels, a closed lock or river obstruction, for example), we use coaches to transfer you from your original Emerald Cruises Star-Ship to a new Star-Ship on the other side of the obstruction. These “ship swaps” are performed with the least impact possible with your Cruise Director accompanying you onto the new ship with your belongings to ensure the remainder of the cruise is as enjoyable as possible. You will be accommodated in a suite of the same type and value; should this not be possible you will be compensated the difference in the value of the suites.
A prolonged disruption may include:
Using coach transfers to the included sightseeing locations, while continuing to be accommodated on your Emerald Cruises Star-Ship. A prolonged disruption may also require us to continuously cruise without stopping for touring. Under the Emerald Cruises River Cruise Cover you will be compensated between$100-$175 CAD per person per day of the disruption should we not be able to fulfill the sightseeing listed in the itinerary.
An extended disruption or major impact to your itinerary:
In the event of an extended disruption, accommodation off ship will be in local hotels with all meals provided. To the best of our ability we will ensure the hotels are of similar standard to your Emerald Cruises Star-Ship. Meals will be included, however, alcoholic drinks and amenities such as butler service, may or may not be included. Cruising will be undertaken by coach. As we understand this experience will not be same as being on board the Emerald Cruises Star-Ship, under the River Cruise Cover you will be compensated based on the suite category booked, between $250-$700 CAD per person per day for up to seven days. Alternatively, a full refund for the remainder of the cruise should you choose to disembark and end/finish your journey.
We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:
- Consequential loss of any kind including loss of enjoyment or any financial loss not specifically covered in the Policy;
- War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), Civil War, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power;
- any loss or expense with respect to Cuba or a specially designated person, entity, group or company on the Specially Designated List or which if reimbursed or paid by Us would result in Us being in breach of trade or economic sanctions or other such similar laws or regulations;
- any nuclear reaction or contamination, ionizing rays or radioactivity;
- any Goods and Services Tax (GST) liability or any fine, charge or penalty You are liable for because of a failure to fully disclose to Us Your input tax credit entitlement for the premium;
Examples of what is classed as a normal disruption and is therefore not covered:
- If high water levels prohibit the sailing of the ship for an afternoon but we are able to make it under the bridge that evening and deliver you to your scheduled disembarkation place the following day.
- If we swap ships due to high/low water and the ship swap takes less than 6 hours to complete
- If we embark/disembark the ship less than 100 kilometres from your scheduled point of embarkation
- If we have to make alternate arrangement for any itinerary activities. For example, if due to prevailing conditions we are not able to attend Marksburg Castle and we select a replacement of similar quality, this will not constitute an event of delay.
If you have any questions about the terms, inclusions, and exclusions of our River Cruise Cover guarantee, please call us on 855 444 0161.